One of the advantages to living in the Valdosta, GA, area is that we have a mild climate during the winter. When you do need to use your heat, it is usually just to slightly warm your home, which is probably for 80 percent of the time. If you have a one-stage furnace, you might not be heating your home in the most efficient way. A two-stage furnace may be a better option to increase the energy efficiency of your home’s heating and cooling system because it allows you to choose how much heat it will produce.
What is a Multi-Speed Furnace?
A two-stage furnace is referred to as a multi-speed furnace because it can run either at low or high speed depending upon how much heat you need to make your home comfortable. It provides a more consistent temperature in your home because its cycles run longer than a one-stage furnace and you are not exposed to the uncomfortable effect of hot air suddenly blasting out of your vents every time a new cycle starts. When the multi-stage furnace is running at a lower speed, the temperature fluctuation within your home will be within a single degree the temperature you set on your thermostat.
On the few days a year where we experience colder weather, you would switch your furnace to high-speed to utilize its full capacity. Having this capability allows you to use less energy during the heating season because you are not running your furnace at high-speed every time you use it.
Benefits of a Two-Stages
There are several benefits to switching to a two-stage furnace:
- When running at low speed, your furnace will be much quieter than a traditional furnace that runs on high speed only
- The indoor air quality in your home will be improved because the air in your home will be circulated more often, thus trapping more contaminants in system’s filters
- Better humidity control, which also reduces the possibility of mold or mildew growth in your home
- Helps reduce the costs to heat your home when you run it mainly at its low speed
- Allows you to take more control over how you heat your home
If it is time for you to upgrade your furnace, you may want to consider switching to a multi-speed furnace that will make your home more comfortable, while saving you money on your heating bills. To learn more about why this type of furnace may be the best option for your home, contact the heating experts at Ray & Son Heating & Air Conditioning. We have been providing dependable service to the Valdosta and surrounding area since 1965 and are ready to serve you and your family.