It’s only the start of summer and your air conditioner is already giving you problems. Is it time to get it replaced, or should you stick with a repair? Ray and Son can help with both. Here’s some things to take into consideration when you’re debating between keeping your old system or replacing it with new AC installation.
What are some factors in favor of repair?
- How long have you owned your current system? On average, most air conditioners last between 10-15 years. With quality maintenance from a reputable HVAC company like Ray and Son, your system may last longer than that. However, after a decade of heavy use, you should be at least be prepared to replace your system. If your aging air conditioner now needs repairs, that may tip the balance in favor of replacement. But, if your system is less than a decade old, it may be better to have it repaired.
- How much will the repair cost? When you call Ray and Son and we arrive to inspect your system, we’ll provide you with an upfront quote for the cost of the repair prior to getting started on the work. Weigh the cost of the repair against the potential cost of a new air conditioner, taking the age and repair history of the unit into account, as well. If the cost is relatively small, you may want to have us apply the repair. If the cost approaches that of a new system, talk to our technician about your other options.
- How do you feel about your air conditioner? This is often overlooked, but if you like the cooling your current air conditioner provides, repair may still make more sense than replacement in most cases. Of course, the opposite is also true: if you don’t think your air conditioner is adequately cooling your home, an upgrade may be just what the doctor ordered.
When should you replace your current AC system, instead?
- How are your current energy bills? The summer afternoons in south Georgia can, at times, be sweltering. If you dread the day that your electricity bill arrives, it might be a good idea to consider an AC upgrade when your current system needs a major repair. In fact, if the cost between the repair and the new system are close enough, it may be enough to make up the difference in energy savings over a few seasons. The air conditioners manufactured today by companies such as Carrier have an emphasis on energy efficiency and using far less power to cool your home.
- How do you feel about your system’s current cooling output? No matter how much energy you’re saving, at the end of the day, you just want an air conditioner that works and keeps you and your family comfortable. If your current system isn’t meeting that simple criteria, you may want to consider an upgrade.
Ray and Son can help with new AC installation
Whether you need AC repair or a specialist to help you with AC installation, trust Ray and Son to get the job done. A locally owned and operated company in Valdosta, Georgia since 1965, Ray and Son is a family business that believes in superior, customer-focused service, products that work, and actual advice from HVAC professionals. If you’re ready to learn more about a new AC system or receive assistance with your current one, give Ray and Son a call at (229) 686-5531 or schedule your service with us.